Sunday, September 28, 2014

Some Odds & Ends with APPLES .... Throwing in a Mix of Activities

Odds and Ends...
So I have fallen WAY behind on posts so here is a mix of things we have been up to!
 
Retelling Review
This week our Reading Skill was reviewing the skill of retelling. I read "The Three Little Pigs" to the class and we reviewed the "Give Me Five" retell strategy I taught the week prior. I then gave them puppets and instructed them to use the puppets to retell the story to their partners. THEY LOVED IT!
 
10 Frames and Apples
We have been learning different strategies we can use to add numbers. We introduced the concept of using a 10 Frame to help us add. Since we have also been learning about Johnny Appleseed, what better way to integrate our learning than by using apples in our 10 Frames!
The students rolled a dice and place that many apples on the 10 Frame. Then they roll the dice again and place that many apples on the 10 Frame. After adding the apples up they must use their dry erase markers to write an addition sentence for their 10 Frame.
Erase and repeat .... how easy!


 
Number Line Madness
 
After learning about 10 Frames, we literally JUMPED into number lines. I pulled out my BIG number line mat and AMAZED the kiddos!
 
 
Here you see a student representing an addition problem! I would call out a problem and then ask students to show me that problem by HOPPING on the number line and landing on the answer! I can easily say ALL of my student were engaged!
Then I pulled out more tricks .....



These are Ziploc bag Number lines that I had seen on Pinterest! OF COURSE I had to rush home and make them for my kiddos. You place a piece of plain paper inside the bag, use a permanent marker to draw on your number line, and PRESTO you have an interactive homemade number line! The students use the "zipper" to move on the number line! They can also write the addition sentence on the Ziploc bag using a dry erase marker!
 
 
 Apple Bonds .... Number Bonds
 
We have been moving right along in Math! On top of mastering the 10 Frame and Number line, I also introduced the class to Number Bonds! I had to find a FUN way to teach this and since we were learning about Johnny Appleseed, why not make Apple Bonds!?
 
I started by modeling Number Bonds for the class and labeling the Whole and Parts. We did several examples together whole class.
 
Then we made our own Apple Bonds and used buttons to represent the numbers!
 

 
 JOHNNY APPLESEED FUN
 
We wrapped up our week on Friday by completing some FUN Johnny Appleseed activities!
 
I brought in an Apple Peeler that peels and cores your apples in no time! The kiddos thought I was MAGIC! I even let some student try it out themselves (since it was impossible for them to get hurt)!
We put all the peeled apples in a Crock-Pot along with some other ingredients to make applesauce! YUMMY!

Recipe
Apples are cooking and they made the classroom smell SO GOOD!
 
 

 

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment