Sunday, September 14, 2014

I know all about ADJECTIVES ... GIVE ME FIVE!

Give me FIVE ....
5 Finger Retell that is!!
 
 
 
Our Reading Skill this week was being able to Retell a story! I used an anchor chart (that I forgot to capture) and introduced the skill. Since we had already discussed Character, Setting, and BME... it was only a matter of putting those skills together.
We read the popular folk tale "The Lion and the Mouse." I think it is SOOO neat to see the kiddos enjoy these timeless stories that I  listened to when I was a child!
We then discussed the Characters, Setting, Beginning, Middle, and End of the story as I scribed their answers on the board. Then we created this little craft pictured above.
This was so easy to do and they loved it!
For a more formal assessment we read our weekly story from the text "School Day," and we completed a worksheet that had the students complete their own 5 Finger Retell questions.
 
Let's Learn About ADJECTIVES!
 
We have learned about Nouns and Verbs ..... so it was time to BUST out the Adjectives!
I use this activity EVERY year and LOVE IT!
First we learn what adjectives are by looking at an anchor chart!
I captured this on my phone...
 
Then I get a blank anchor chart and put my name in the middle! The kiddos come up and brainstorm words that describe ME!
Let me tell you .... this is a great CONFIDENCE boost for myself because kids are so SWEET!
Then I pull out a MYSTERY  gift bag! You immediately hear the oo's and ahh's! I have them brainstorm some adjectives with a partner to describe the bag. We also jot down some predictions of what is in the bag!
After we share our thoughts, I reveal our class gift!
POP ROCK CANDY!
And the class goes WILD!
I allow them to eat the candy, but they must jot down 6 adjectives to describe it!
SO MUCH FUN!
Here are some pictures of my kiddos enjoying the activity!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment