Thursday, September 4, 2014

CRAZY WEEK .... I'm playing catch up!

CRAZY WEEK!
I feel as if I have been hanging on by a thread this week! I've been working around my daughter's cheerleading, my son's football, cooking dinner, and doing school work!
 (notice how I left out housework ... I'm way behind on that)
Not that I mind .... check out my babies!
 
 
Here is a GLIMPSE of what I HAVE managed to do in my classroom this week!
With AIMS Web testing taking place and a Field Trip on Friday, I feel very accomplished to have even posted this week!
 
In Reading we worked on Realism vs. Fantasy!
I have taught this lesson every year and the kiddos LOVE it!
Not to mention I'm throwing in some Social Studies!
 
 
I have my anchor chart already labeled "Realism vs. Fantasy" and I explain what each genre means as we record it on the chart!
I then read the story "Grace for President."
 
We discuss if their story is Realism or Fantasy and then record WHY we think so!
 
Then we listen to the story "Duck for President" via YouTube!
 
We discuss this book, and add our findings to our chart!
Then we read our weekly reading textbook story, and I have the students write an exit slip explaining if the story is Realism or Fantasy!
 
Introducing Vicky Verb...
 
 
I introduced Verbs this week and I LOVE teaching VERBS!
I started with my Vicky Verb anchor chart that didn't have any of the verbs recorded!
My smart kiddos brainstormed all those verbs during carpet whole group discussion!
We completed a cute Action Verb activity, but I was too hectic fitting in the lesson .... I forgot to capture it on camera!
 
Sentence or Not a Sentence?
 
What is a complete sentence? When I ask students to write me a complete sentence, most students don't really understand what that entails!
ENTER subject and predicate lesson!
Now that we have learned about Nouns and Verbs .... this is pretty easy to introduce.
I modeled for the class how to find the subject and predicate and informed them that EVERY sentence must have a subject and predicate!
Then they were given either a "subject" or "predicate" and had to find the partner! I had cut the pieces like puzzles so that they could easily see if their subject and predicates matched!
They loved it!
 

Then they had to identify the subject and predicate in their sentence and complete a cut and paste sentence sort!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment