Tuesday, November 25, 2014

GOBBLE till you WOBBLE

GOBBLE till you WOBBLE
It is Thanksgiving ... and I love these activities I use every year to help us celebrate Thanksgiving!
 
Having a 2 day week due to Thanksgiving break worked out PERFECTLY for the activities I had planned for my 1st grade sweeties!
On Monday it was all about PIE! Tuesday was all about TURKEY!
On Monday we started our Reading block off learning about Author's Purpose! Check out this cute anchor chart we used to introduce the skill!
 
 
Of course we needed an example of each kind of "purpose" so we read an apple pie recipe, the book "Enemy Pie" by Derek Munson, and a local grocery store ad for freshly baked pies! After I read each type of writing we recorded that writing's "purpose" on the board.
Enter our Interactive Journal entry!
 
 
Under each foldable they recorded the example we used in class. Persuade was the grocery ad, Inform was the pie recipe, and Entertain was the book "Enemy Pie." Don't you just love the little pie we added to the corner!
 
During our Math block we participated in 2 activities! The first activity included eating different kinds of pie ...... who doesn't love pie!? You would be shocked to see how many of our sweet 1st graders have never tried it!
We had three pies: apple, pumpkin, and pecan (beware of nut allergies of course)! I gave each kiddo a little sampling of each pie.
LET THE GRAPHING BEGIN!
 

I was shocked that the class voted on Pumpkin as the majority favorite! In years past it has ALWAYS been Apple! The class graphed the results and then answered questions based on our graphs!
 
For our 2nd Math activity I purchased this wonderful packet to introduce Fractions!
 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Fall-Fractions-Pumpkin-Pie-958450
 
Moving into TURKEY TUESDAY...
 
We started our day by making Indian headdresses complete with feathers from the craft department! We then made some festive totem poles! I used FREE paint sticks from Wal-Mart for the back-bone of the totem pole. The students illustrated the images and glued them on to create their own unique totem pole!
 
Doesn't my class look FABULOUS!
 
I read one of my favorite books "Thanksgiving Rules" by Laurie Friedman
                          
The students completed a writing prompt where they came up with their own five rules to follow during the Thanksgiving holiday feast!
Now it was time to discuss the BIGGEST component of this holiday event....
THE FOOD!!!
 
I had 7 cards that showed popular Thanksgiving food items. I gave each student a small square of paper and directed them to come place their square next to their favorite Thanksgiving food item.
THEN WE GRAPHED...
 

I can't speak for the rest of the class .....
but I left this lesson SUPER hungry for Thanksgiving food!!
 
Here are some pictures of some crafts we also completed on Tuesday!
 
 
This is our LONG LEGGED TURKEY.
We wrote a "How to" prompt entitled "How to Catch a Turkey."

 
I create this craft each year when we learn about the 1st Thanksgiving! EVERYONE does the Turkey handprint craft .... so of course I can't do that! I have to be different! PLUS the hallways are full of turkey projects ...... our class has to STAND OUT!
The MAYFLOWER hand-print craft is adorable!
I pair it up with a writing prompt: If you were on the mayflower and you could only bring 5 things, what 5 items would you bring and why?
It is so interesting to see what they would bring!
 
MAKE SURE TO STAY UP TO DATE WITH OUR CLASS BY FOLLOWING OUR BLOG!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment