Sunday, November 16, 2014

Writing Sentences with the Pigeon, and Going Batty with Main Idea

Writing Sentences with the Pigeon
 
This week we learned about the 4 Types of Sentences.
This dandy anchor chart did the trick ...
 
I love the Pigeon Books written by Mo Willems! They work great in this lesson because they are full of the different types of sentences. I read 1 of the books to the class and we marked the page whenever we found one of the types of sentences we are studying.
Then I put my other Pigeon books at my student's groups. They created this wonderful craft and had to find a sentence that matched their type of sentence to copy from the book!
It was so much fun .... my kids are now officially obsessed with the Pigeon character!
 
Then my son (who is in 3rd grade) had to complete a Character Pumpkin project for his class. Guess who he picked for his character ......
THE PIGEON!
Didn't he do a GREAT job?!
 
Going Batty with Main Idea
 
This week we also worked on Main Idea!
SUPER HARD concept for my class! This is one of those comprehension skills where I tend to fight my urge to go bang my head on the brick wall in my classroom!
It's not their fault .... it is a very difficult abstract concept for them to master!
We will work on this concept ALL Year LONG!
Since it was close to Halloween I decided to pull in a favorite book to help us learn about Main Idea!
 
 
 
I read the story aloud and then discussed the Main Idea and Details! My kiddos then made a Bat
Craft, and completed a Main Idea organizer to go with it!
 
 
By the end of the week our Hallway Display was VERY BUSY!
 
 
PLUS...
we were celebrating Red Ribbon Week! The teachers compete against each other in a Red Ribbon Week Door Decorating Contest! Check out my class door! I hope we win!
 
MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW MY BLOG TO KEEP UP WITH ALL OF OUR CLASSROOM HAPPENINGS!
 

1 comment:

  1. This is very fruitful article for following.I loved reading the article. Appreciate your effort towards amazing teaching style. I will recommend to watch your blog.easily explained the concept of 4 Types of Sentences.Wish you successful.

    ReplyDelete