Thursday, December 11, 2014

Kingdom of the Diagraphs

Once upon a time....
in the land of the Diagraphs...
 
This week we were exploring some Diagraph sounds!
After some brainstorming (which entails surfing the web/Pinterest) I came up with "The Kingdom of Diagraphs."
Of course you can't have a Kingdom without Kings and Queens!
 
I made a crown template, pulled out my sentence strips, and TAA-DA! My class became the Kings and Queens of the Diagraph Kingdom!
 
 
I labeled the crowns a variety of Diagraph sounds and then passed them out. The students had to record words that had that sound on the sentence strip. Then they cut the crown out, glued it on the sentence strip, and I stapled the sentence strip together to form the "hat." When I placed the crown on their head I said "I now pronounce you King/Queen of the (diagraph sound) Kingdom!
I explained that they had to KNOW their sound ... in case anyone in the school asked them what they were wearing and why!





MY KIDS LOVED THIS!
They took ownership of their learning and were BEAMING with confidence!
I of course took it off the deep end! We even walked in the hallway with our noses in the air ..... just like King and Queens do of course!!


No comments:

Post a Comment