Thursday, December 11, 2014

Contraction Surgery

DOCTOR...DOCTOR
These words need SURGERY... STAT!!
 
Today I introduced the concept of contractions!
I LOVE INTRODUCING CONTRACTIONS!
 
Every year I prepare this activity, and I get excited every time!
(I guess I just like to role play in my classroom, it's so much fun!)
 
When my kiddos entered the room from our RTI time they found me wearing a medical mask!
 
The questions flooded in:
Mrs. Jessica are you sick? Are you ok? Why are you wearing that? What's on your face?
Well I got their attention!
 
 
I introduced the concept of
 
taking two words and shortening them! I call the apostrophe a "Band-Aid."
They just LOVE IT!
Then I give each student a mask, gloves, and a Band-Aid.
 
I issue out to them their first patient. They first must work in pairs, because they are training to be doctors.
 

 
After they mastered their first surgery with their partners, I assess them to see if they are ready to do surgery independently!

Check out my room full of doctors!
I'm hoping that in 20 years or so some of them come pay their old 1st Grade teacher a visit, and I can learn that some of them aspire to be a doctor! I'll just pull out this picture and take credit for their inspiration!
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment