Friday, August 22, 2014

One More One Less

One More, One Less
is about to make me go BONKERS!
This is such a HARD skill for beginning 1st Graders to grasp! I have worked and worked at this skill ALL week ..... and today I was almost brought to TEARS when I watched it "click" with some struggling students!
 
So I thought I would share some of my TRICKS in hopes that it may work for someone else too!

I searched and searched for a hands-on manipulative for my students to use with this concept and came up empty handed! SO I made my own ......
I made these tables on Word, printed them, laminated them, and HORRAY we have a tool to use!
The kids loved using their dry erase markers and I think it really helped them to have the visual of "before" and "after" without using those words! I really try to make myself say "one more" and "one less."
I would call a number and they would write that number in the middle. Then I would prompt them to figure out One More and One Less. I would walk around and observe who was getting it .... and who was still struggling!
 
Later in the week I found this Dice Game...
Who doesn't love playing with dice?
The student's roll two dice, pick a number, write it in the middle column, and then answer One More and One Less! I had my kiddos work with a partner! This was also differentiated very easily in a sense due to the students getting to choose their number!
For instance if their die was a 2 and a 5 .... they could use the number 25 or 52!
The struggling students I noticed were more apt to choose the smaller numbers!
 I found this interesting!
Students' differentiating their own work .... Who would have thought!?
 
This is how we ROLL...
 
I picked up these little containers at the Dollar Tree!
 (yes I'm a Dollar Tree Diva)
I place two Dice inside so that the kiddos can shake them and look at their numbers, without the hassle of dice being thrown around the room or falling off their desk! PLUS, they think its SUPER cool! Much better than your plain ole' dice!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment