Friday, May 15, 2015

I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for Ice Cream

I SCREAM, You SCREAM,
We all SCREAM for
ICE CREAM!
 
I can't believe that we are in our LAST full week of school!
I am looking very forward to the first day that I don't have to wake up at 5:30 am! At the same time however, I am not looking forward to saying good-bye to 19 of the sweetest smartest 1st graders!
 
For our last full week together we participated in an Ice Cream Unit! When I think of summer; I think of Ice Cream!
Take a look at some of the fun activities we did...
 
 What is your favorite flavor? I served up a bowl of Neapolitan Ice Cream and let the class vote! After tasting each flavor they colored their scoop of ice cream appropriately and placed it on our graph. Of course they carefully debated which flavor was the best!



 
 Then we reviewed Fact vs. Opinion! Kids really struggle with this concept! I gave each student a sentence while sitting at the carpet. I chose each student to come up and read their sentence for the class. We then discussed whether it was a Fact or an Opinion. The student then placed the sentence on the appropriate side of the board.
Afterwards the students had a Fact vs. Opinion cut and paste worksheet they completed as an assessment! Guess what .... these sentences were about Ice Cream!
 
We played a fun partner activity that reviewed our Addition skills. Students had a worksheet and 2 dice. The worksheet had an ice cream cone with scoops of numbered ice cream. Two cones were on the page ... Player 1 cone and Player 2 cone. Player 1 rolls the 2 dice, adds the numbers together, and colors the ice cream scoop with that number. The first player to color all their scoops WINS! (warning this may take a while)
 
Once a player won, they flipped the worksheet and had another activity to complete together. They had to write an addition sentence for each sum on the ice cream cone.

We read the story "Should I Share My Ice Cream?" by Mo Williams. I love this author and the Elephant and Piggy books are wonderful! The students then had to put themselves in the Elephants' shoes and decide if they would share their ice cream or not. They wrote 3 reasons why or why not, and then transformed those thoughts into a paragraph!

 Which popsicle will melt the fastest?
That is exactly what we wanted to find out so we placed a red, purple, and orange popsicle in a cup outside and observed!
 
While we were waiting for the melting to occur .... we ate popsicles of course!!!! We also enjoyed some outdoor reading time!



We enjoyed the story "The Ice Cream King." This is a wonderful book for teaching Visualization! I had my boys and girls close their eyes and imagine living in a Kingdom made of ice cream. Then we made the craft that went along with their writing.
 

Our BIG last day activity .....
 
We made Ice Cream in a Bag!
IT WAS A BLAST!
 






 
After eating our Ice Cream we created a graph and answered some questions about our Ice Cream Bag experiment!

At the end of the week we took our last Field Trip together as a class. We enjoyed a wonderful day at the park playing with our other 1st grade friends. This is a picture of my daughter and her friends at the park! What great memories!
 
Oh ......
My school was on the news this week!!!
Our 2nd Grade Teachers were featured for their Wizard of Oz Thematic Unit!



No comments:

Post a Comment